Where Will You Spend Hurricane Season
If you own a yacht along the US Atlantic Seaboard or in the Caribbean then you should be asking yourself that question now. Planning is essential and especially with COVID 19 restrictions affecting so many areas.
Pleasure sailing is almost banned in the Caribbean and travel is severely restricted. Flights are hard to find and many islands impose 14 days quarantine. So what do you need to do?
What Reliance Yacht Management can do is advise you what is possible and put together a plan of action to get your boat safe. We have a worldwide network of local contacts in all the major yachting destinations.
If you plan to leave your yacht in place during the season but cannot travel to prepare it, contact Reliance Yacht Management. There is a good chance that we can provide a local service to prepare your yacht and monitor it during the season.
If you plan to move your yacht for the season contact Reliance Yacht Management for an assessment and delivery proposal.
It’s important to be proactive and to keep your yacht protected before the hurricane season.
We put together a short checklist;
- Take a look at your insurance policy to see if there are geographical restrictions during the season and if you are required to follow a course of action in order to comply with the terms.
- Check your marina’s policy for hurricanes. The time is now to learn if you need to vacate for the hurricane season.
- Check all emergency equipment is working, such as radios, first aid kit, and flashlights. Make a list with each item’s location on board. You may need to give this document to others.
- If you plan to move your boat, plan now. Book the delivery in good time.
- If you are not going to move your boat, who will be looking after it?
- Plan what will be removed from your yacht and stowed on board or ashore – sails, biminis, tenders etc,
- Make an inventory of the property on your boat. Smart phones are excellent to record with photos or video.
- Put all important legal documents including licenses, rental agreement, insurance policy, registration, in a secure container on board or ashore